Sunday, November 18, 2012

Open Letter to Spouse/Partner*

Dear significant other,

Please understand that I am going through a horrible ordeal. I feel terrible about inflicting my illness on you. I know that you're affected by my changes, and I wish it were otherwise. I dont want to be ill.

I feel guilty about my inability to shoulder former responsibilities at work and at home, dumping more on you. I wish I could do more or know in advance what I will be capable of each day. I worry that you'll think Im lazy or trying to dodge responsibilities I dislike, but thats not it. Sometimes I just cant, and other times I know it would be a mistake to use up all my energy on a minor thing and then have to give up something more important.

I want to know that I can trust you and that you will be available to listen and try to understand. And Ill try to understand that you cant always be available.

At times my feelings are irrational. My moods are erratic, and I get angry for no apparent reason, or way out of proportion to the trigger. This is part of my illness, and I'll try to keep it under control. I dont mean to direct the anger and frustration at you, but I will sometimes fail. If my mood swings become too hard to take and you feel ready to explode, please tell me so, gently. Maybe one of us can leave the scene, and we can talk about it later when we're both calmer.

Sometimes I need to talk about these irrational feelings. Just listen, okay? Please dont tell me how to feel or how not to feel. You can't "fix" my feelings. Please dont judge them; just accept and acknowledge them. When you say such things as, "your illness must be terribly frustrating for you," I feel understood and comforted. But dont tell me you know how I feel. You dont and you cant; no one can know exactly what this is like for me. And when I cry, dont try to make me stop. Please let me cry - I'll feel better later.

I know I complain a lot. It helps to relieve tension. If my complaining strains your tolerance, please tell me so. I wont like hearing it, and may not handle it well, but I really do understand that you need to distance yourself from my complaints.

I need to work at making clear requests so that you'll know what I need. It's not your job to mind-read - its my responsibility to ask for what I want. This is difficult for me; its easier for me to meet others' needs than to admit my own and ask that they be met.

Dont try to talk me out of my symptoms or remind me that they're not as bad as they could be or not as bad as they were. I know I need to stay hopeful, but if you take an optimistic role when Im feeling pessimistic, I feel as if you dont understand me and wont validate my feelings.

I know you dont understand why Im sick. Neither do I. Lets stay away from blame and acknowledge our feelings of helplessness.

Dont give up your whole life for me. Please continue to do the things that are important to you. I wont always be able to do them with you, so do them alone or with a friend. Sometimes I resent my limitations and your freedom, but I'll try to keep a healthy perspective. If you put your life on hold because of my illness, I'll feel guilty and your resentment will build. I appreciate your invitations to do things as a reminder that you still value my company. Please dont assume what I can or can't do; ask, and I'll answer you honestly. I hope you will understand that when I say "no," its not because I dont want to but because I can't or shouldn't.

I know I'm not the way I used to be. I'm trying to learn from my illness, from these changes, and you can help. We can't pretend that things are the way they were or that they'll ever be the same again. But as we change and grow, I want us to grow together rather than apart. Lets keep the lines of communication open. When I need to withdraw, I'll try to let you know so you wont take it personally. Please do the same for me. Don't just pull away; explain to me that you need distance temporarily so I'm less inclined to feel abandoned.

Because we're both experiences losses, we need to grieve. Some of our grieving will be solitary and some of it shared. Lets acknowledge what we've lost by mourning together.

Please dont try to make my decisions for me. If you see me wearing down and think I should rest, I value your observations and suggestions, but dislike being told what I should do. I need to take care of myself and you can help, but dont try to take over. Your encouragement helps me to do a better job of taking care of myself.

When you acknowledge my difficulties and my strengths, I might have trouble believing what you say, but I do need to hear it. Tell me you think I'm brave, that I'm fighting hard, that I'm weathering this calamity well.Tell me you still love and value me, and why. Small tokens help - a flower, a phone call, a card.

Sometimes I may be unable to hear you or I may even push you away when I'm hurting, especially at times when I cant love myself. I'll try not to hurt you, but if I do, please understand that Idont mean to reject you.

I know our sexual relationship has changed and that we both miss the way it was. My lack of energy and sexual interest is a result of my illness and not a rejection of you. I need to remain close with you in every possible way. Hugs are comforting and reassuring to me.

These are rough times for us. I appreciate the efforts you've made to help me cope and to be comfortable. I know I've been difficult to live with. At times you have been too. If we can get through these times together, our relationship will become stronger.

*From Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Other Invisible Illnesses by Katrina Berne, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment