Friday, November 2, 2012

Pool Therapy

Today I went to OT and discussed silver ring slints for my fingers. The therapist was more than enthusiastic about it and got me sized for 4 fingers. She said she would discuss it with my other therapist and get them ordered for me. I think I'll have them measure my pink fingers on Monday. They sized my ring and middle fingers. We shall see Monday what the other therapist says. If insurance doesnt cover it, they are $81 per knuckle.

All I had to do was ask.

All this time I haven't been advocaing for my own health. All this time I haven't been complaining because I just figured it was "normal" to be in pain... in pain to the point I don't feel it anymore. Not good. And I hate being the center of attention. I didn't want

But I'm on the right track. I am not accepting the rheumatologists "there's nothing I can do for you" to mean this is the end of the road... it just means hypermobility disorders are out of his wheelhouse and I need to look into a second opinion, or find someone who knows more specifically about hypermobility. Someone who won't just shrug and say "you're skin isn't stretchy, can't be Ehlers-Danlos." My physical therapist was encouraging me to really push for more information/answers and not to accept "Sorry, nothing I can do" as a final answer. I told her I didn't even know finger splints existed until I saw her hands and a lightbulb went off in my head. She seemed genuinely pleased that I asked for them in OT.

Finally. Some people on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment